The dining room
There is a remarkable fireplace in the dining room by Antoine Margotin, who studied under the architect Sanson. This features the majority of the sculpted repertoire on the outside of the Château (burning mountain “Mont Chaud”, double “C” of Charles II d’Amboise, coat of arms of Cardinal Georges d’Amboise). Also on display in this room are two tapestries: The Judgement of Paris (16th century) and The Story of Aeneas (17th century), as well as a 16th century chest illustrating the battle of David and Goliath on a hide.
The library was recently identically reconstructed, although it lost some of its decoration in a fire in June 1957. It contains a 19th century two-piece bookcase adorned with pilasters, diamond shapes, friezes of shells and interlacing in the Renaissance style, as well as a collection of furniture pieces from the time of Napoleon III - an “indiscret” (a type of circular upholstered couch that can seat three people), sofa and chairs. Three tapestries woven at Aubusson in the 17th century illustrate three episodes in the life of Alexander the Great (Alexander’s triumphant entry into Babylon, The Submission of the family of Darius and The encounter between Porus and Alexander).
The little living room
The billiards room
The billiards room boasts a rare polychrome ceiling commissioned by Prince and Princess de Broglie, with numerous views of the Château in the late 19th century on the main beam, as well as the coats of arms of the d’Amboise and de Broglie families at each end. Two 16th century Brussels tapestries illustrate two episodes in the life of Hannibal, the Carthaginian General (The taking of Saguntum and Hannibal showing the Po Valley to three of his lieutenants).
The great salon
The great salon is laid out in the historicising style of the mid 19th century inspired by the Royal Château of Blois (polychrome fireplace with depiction of the porcupine). The furniture (tables, chairs, stools, two-piece dresser, confident sofa, tea table and fumeuse chair) dates back to Napoleon III’s day or the late 19th century. The yellow silk brocatelle with large floral motifs decorating all of the walls was rewoven in 2007 from the original late 19th century cartels. Recently, numerous purchases and loans have allowed the refined atmosphere of the Princess de Broglie’s living room to be recreated.
Built at the turn of the 16th century, with some Flamboyant Gothic sculpted décor from this period still visible, the chapel was restored in 1884-1886. The stained glass windows were made by the master glazier Georges Bardon and fitted in 1888. They illustrate the history of Chaumont from its origins right up to the de Broglie family’s day. On either side of the high altar, four paintings done by an Aragonese school at the end of the 15th century show two episodes in The Life of Saint John the Baptist, The Virgin Birth and The Road to Calvary.